Basic Custom Fields
You can create basic custom fields of the following types
To add a new Custom Field, click on the Add button and you will be prompted to provide
- Custom field Type - a dropdown list of the types as listed above
- Custom Field Name - The name you wish to give the field
- Screen Label - What the user will see when prompted to enter values or viewing the field
- Screen Tooltip - What the user will see when hovering over the field
- Can Filter - Select this if you want to be able to filter your data by this field
- Variable validation parameters depending on the type of field
- Regular Expression - Allows you to validate the input from the user, so they can't enter free text. These apply to text custom fields only.
To maintain the Custom Field Name, Screen Label or Screen Tooltip, click in the appropriate field and use Inline editing to easily and instantly change the field value.
To delete a Custom field click on the Delete icon to the right of the screen. If the Custom Field is associated with data you will be warned that the data will be removed if you proceed with the delete. In such circumstances, unless you genuinely wish to delete the data, you should go to Screens and simply uncheck the checkboxes against the Custom Field to disable it.
What does Show with Attributes mean in Custom Fields?
There are two placement regions on the View Item page (the page that shows you all of the detail of your work item), the Attributes Region, which is on the left hand side, and the Content Region, which occupies the centre of the page. If you check 'Show with Attributes' when you view the full list of fields for a task, your Custom Field will be shown in the Attributes pane, otherwise your Custom Field will appear in the Contents Region of the page.